Abdul Gafoor Abdul Majeed Noorani, known popularly as A. G. Noorani, (born 16 September 1930) is an Indian lawyer, historian and author. He has practised as an advocate in the Supreme Court of India and in the Bombay High Court. He is one of the few remaining experts on the Constitution of India from his generation.
Early life and education
Noorani was born in Bombay (now Mumbai) in 1930. He attended a government school and got his law degree from Government Law College, Mumbai.
His columns have appeared in various publications, including, Hindustan Times, The Hindu, Frontline, Economic and Political Weekly and Dainik Bhaskar. He is the author of a number of books including: 'The Kashmir Question', 'Badruddin Tyabji Ministers' Misconduct', 'Brezhnev's Plan for Asian Security', 'The Presidential System', 'The Trial of Bhagat Singh', 'Constitutional Questions in India' and 'The RSS and the BJP: A Division of Labour' (LeftWord 2000). He has also authored the biographies of Badruddin Tyabji andDr Zakir Hussain.
Noorani considers himself a "secular Muslim". He has defended Sheikh Abdullah of Kashmir during his long period of detention. He appeared in the Bombay High Court for former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Karunanidhi against the latter's main political rival J. Jayalalitha.
- The Kashmir Dispute 1947-2012 , 2 Volume set(editor , 2013)
- Islam, South Asia and the Cold War (2012)
- Article 370: A Constitutional History of Jammu and Kashmir (2011)
- Jinnah and Tilak: Comrades in the Freedom Struggle (2010)
- India–China Boundary Problem 1846–1947: History and Diplomacy (2010)
- Indian Political Trials 1775–1947 (2006)
- Constitutional Questions and Citizens’ Rights (2006)
- The Muslims of India: A Documentary Record (editor, 2003)
- Islam and Jihad: Prejudice versus Reality(2003)
- The Babri Masjid Question 1528–2003: ‘A Matter of National Honour’, in two volumes (2003).
Source : Wikipedia