He was born on 1st July 1940 to Mr. & Mrs. Haji M. Moidenabba (Founder of Badriya Institutions), Mangalore. Abdul was married to Mrs. Laila (from Mahe) in 1966. He has an elder brother Dr. Hussain, who is a senior Pediatrician.
Prof. Dr. Rahiman completed his early education in the Rosario School. He completed his graduation in Mangalore. He then took up a career in research and completed his PhD Degree from Mysore University in 1969. He was in the Post Graduate Teaching Faculty of the Mangalore University since its inception up to June 2000.
Prof. Rahiman worked as a Higher Education Consultant at the Gulf University for Science & Technology, Kuwait, which was the first Private University established in Kuwait and has collaborated with the University of Missouri, St. Louis, U.S.A during 2003. He is also the first PhD holder in the Muslim Community in Mangalore.
His field of specialization is Environmental Genetic Toxicology. He has published and presented more than 75 scientific papers in National and International Journals and seminars and is a recognized Research Guide. Thirteen students have got their PhD degree under his able guidance.
He has visited several universities and scientific Institutions within India and foreign Countries like Japan, Singapore, Germany, Greece and several Universities in the Middle Eastern countries like U.A.E, Kuwait, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.
Prof. Dr. M. Abdul Rahiman is at present, a Higher Educational Consultant and has been Former Chairman for the Calicut University Commission, Govt. of Kerala and the PG Dept of Bio Sciences, Mangalore University, India. In addition he has also been Former Vice Chancellor for the Kannur and Calicut Universities, Kerala, India.
Positions and Responsibilities held:
- At present he is the Vice President of the National Environmental Science Academy, New Delhi for the period of 2008 to 2010.
- Chairman of a major science PG Department of Biosciences for more than two decades.
- Chairman of the PG Board of studies in Bioscience and UG Board of studies in zoology of Mangalore University.
- Served as a member of Board of Studies of Life Sciences of all universities of Karnataka State and many other Universities in India.
- Dean, Faculty of Science and Technology of Mangalore University.
- Served as a member of Academic Council, Senate and Syndicate of Mangalore University for many years.
- Chief of the Employment Information and Guidance Bureau of Mangalore University.
- Founder President of Mangalore University Co-operative Society.
- Vice President of the National Environmental Science Academy, New Delhi from 1998 - 2002.
- Founder Vice Chancellor of Kannur University, Kerala for a period of 4 years i.e., from 1996 - 1999.
- Worked as the Vice Chancellor of University of Calicut (Additional Charge) for a period nearly 2 years. Hence, has the rare opportunity of heading two Universities simultaneously for a period of 20 months. This gave him a unique experience of managing and directing the administrative and Academic activities of these Universities, centers of higher learning.
- Chairman of Calicut University commission, constituted by the Govt. of Kerala (May 2000 to Jan 2001) to review the performance analysis of the university activities during past ten years. The report entitle "Vision, Insight & innovations" was submitted to the Government of Kerala, during January 2001.
- Serving as a Chairman of the peer teams of the National assessment and accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalorefor the assessment and accreditation of the institutions all over India.
- Nominated member of the scrutiny committee of the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore 2003.
- Higher Educational Consultant, Gulf University for Science and Technology (GUST) Kuwait, May 2003 - Nov 2003.
Honors and Awards
Source : mangalorean.com
- Recipient of the Best Scientist Award, 1997 of National Environmental Science Academy, New Delhi for the achievement and contributions to the Higher Education and research in the field of Genetic Toxicology.
- Recipient of "Dr. Shivarama Karanth International Suvarna Parisara Rathna Award. 1998".
- Bharatha Rathna Sir. M Vishveshvarahiah National Parisara Rathna Award 1999 given by National Pollution Control and Environment conservation committee, Bangalore in recognition of his service in pollution control and environment conservation.
- Recognized as the Man of the year 2000 among the outstanding personalities of the 20th century by the world's prestigious American Biographical Institute (ABI) North Carolina, USA.
- Has also been chosen and conferred with an Honorary appointment to the Research Board of Advisors, 1999 by ABI, North California, USA.
- Received the Honorary Fellowship (FIAES) and a Gold Medal of the Indian Academy of Environmental Sciences, Hardhwar on 31st December 2002, in recognition of his contribution to Higher Education and Research in the field of Life Sciences.
- Received the Fellowship Award - 2003 of the National Environmental Science Academy, New Delhi for his Contributions to the field of Higher Education, research, administration and consultancy. The award was given by NESA during its annual conference held during April 2004 at New Delhi.
Source : mangalorean.com