Former Vice Chancellor-Shaikhul Jamia
- Master of Arts (History with Political Science), Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India, First Class First.
- Stood First in all examinations at school and university levels.
- Aligarh Muslim University and Kurukshetra University.
- In 1963 joined the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), attaining the second position in the batch.
- Served the Government of Bihar in District and at the State headquarters, holding various positions including: Deputy Development Commissioner, Director of Fisheries, Managing Director of the State Cooperative Bank, Managing Director of the State Cooperative Marketing Union, Resident Commissioner in New Delhi.
- Held the position of Fertilizer Commissioner in the Central Ministry of Agriculture, New Delhi.
Government of India:
- Served as India's Alternate permanent Representative to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Rome.
- Represented India in FAO Conferences, FAO (executive) Council sessions and meetings of inter-governmental bodies including Committee on Commodities, Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry, Codex Alimentarius.
- Among other positions, was elected as Vice-Chairman, FAO Programme Committee, which reviews and endorses FAO's programmes and budget to the Council. The members of this body are elected by Governments' Representatives of the 52 member nations of the FAO Council.
- 1970-1977 & 1983-1988: Served at the FAO Headquarters, Rome in various divisions, including; as Chief of Inter-Agency Affairs handling FAO's relations with other UN agencies and bodies such as Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC), UNESCO, ILO, WHO, UNIDO. Staff support to and attendance with Director-General at Administrative Coordination Committee (ACC), which is the apex body of the Executive Heads of all UN agencies and programmes, chaired by Secretary-General of the United Nations. Served as Senior Officer in the Cabinet of the Director-General of FAO dealing with organization wide issues.
- Jan 1988-Oct. 1993 FAO Representative (FAOR) in Nepal. FAOR is responsible for developing, managing and monitoring all assistance programmes of the Organization in the Country of assignment.
- November 1993-2000: FAO Representative in Yemen.
- During this period, was assigned for about a year to Ethipoia as FAO Representative at a time when the country was facing a drought emergency situation; mobilized considerable funds for emergency projects.
- In Yemen, during the period of the assignment, helped in developing and mobilizing funds for F AO's Technical Assistance programme, raising it to one of the largest in the world.
- Periodically acted as Resident Coordinator (RC) of all the UN development agencies in Nepal and Yemen.
- For over 10 years in the senior-most D-2 professional grade of UN.
- Education, UN System, Environment, Agriculture, Rural Development, Urdu Persian & English Literature, Coparative Literature, Fine Arts. Travel:
- USA, UK, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Turkey, United States of Soviet Republic, China, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Egypt, Morocco Syria, Jordan, Yemen, Iran, Afghanistan.
- March, 2000 - June 2004: Vice-Chancellor
- Chairman, Delhi Education Society.
- Chairman, Dr. Zakir Husain Memorial Welfare Society.
- Member of the Council of National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA).
- Member of the Finance Committee of National Institute of Education Planning and Administration (NIEPA).
- Member on the Board of Directors of Educational Consultants India Limited (Ed.CIL), A Government of India Enterprise.
- Member of the X Plan Committee on Higher Education of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).
- Member, Jamia Hamdard Society (Deemed University).
- Member, Distance Education Council (IGNOU).
- Member, Academic Council of Maulana Azad National Urdu University, Hyderabad.
- Member, Maulana Azad Education Foundation.
- Member, Governing Body of Zakir Husain College (Delhi University).
- Trustee, "Pratham" Delhi.
- Visited Germany under cultural exchange programme of Government of India in June-July, 2002.
- Visited Rabat (Morocco) on an invitation by the Federation of Universities of Islamic World, Rabat, Morocco in coordination of Ministry of External Affairs in March, 2002.
- Visited Egypt, Jordan, Syria as member of Parliamentary Delegation regarding terrorist attack on Indian Parliament in January, 2002.
- Visited Malaysia under cultural exchange programme of Government of India in March, 2001.
- Visited Sri Lanka under cultural exchange programme of Government of India in July, 2001.
- Visited Iran on Educational Tour in July, 2001.
- Visited China as member of a high level delegation of Government of India led by Union Minister, Human Resource Development in November, 2000.
- Visited Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Bahrain as Member of Parliamentary Delegation from 21h January to 4th February , 2002.