|Fields||Liver transplantation, Pancreatic disease|
|Institutions||King's College Hospital, London|
Global Hospital, Hyderabad
Global Hospital, Chennai
|Alma mater||University of Madras|
|Known for||Liver transplantation|
Split Liver Transplantation
|Notable awards||Guinness Book of Records in 2000|
Dr. Mohamed Rela, is an Indian surgeon known for his expertise on Liver transplantation, Hepatopancreatobiliary. He is one of the World's top liver transplant surgeons from the King's College Hospital, London. He made his name in the Guinness Book of Records in 2000. He is now the Head of the Department for Institute of Liver, Pancreas diseases and Transplantation, Global Hospitals & Health City Group in Chennai.
Rela was born in Mayiladuthurai, a small town in Tamil Nadu, India. He was a student from the Kalakshetra School, Chennai and got his MBBS (in 1980) and MS degree from the Stanley Medical College, Chennai. Later he went to the United Kingdom in 1986 and got another MS from Edinburgh and then became an Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1988.
CareerAfter getting an FRCS, he has worked in various hospitals in UK before joining the King's College Hospital. In 1994, he joined the KCH (where the first liver transplant was done in 1989) and became actively involved in the liver transplant surgeries. At the KCH, he pioneered the split liver transplantation technique, which involves the division of a healthy donor organ to help transplant it to two patients. While he is now affiliated to Global Hospitals & Health City in Chennai, he still works at King's College Hospital, in UK.
He also has special interest towards Whipple procedure (also known as Pancreaticoduodenectomy) with PVR (Portal Vein Resection) which is usually done for patients with Pancreatic Cancer either in locally advanced stage or advanced stage. He has written a number of scientific articles and papers on his areas of interests which includes Liver transplantation, Complex Hepatobiliary, Pancreatic surgery and more.
- Dr. Mohamed Rela has so far performed more than 1200 liver transplant surgeries.
- In Dec 1997, a team led by him has done a successful liver transplantation for a five-day-old girl, which made him an entry into the Guinness Book of Records in 2000.
- In Mar 1999, ha carried out the first living related Liver Transplant on a patient with acute Liver Failure in the UK. 18 Month old Luke Bettelley was given just 48 hours to live before the operation.
- In Jun 2003, he has successfully done a liver transplant for a four-and-a-half-year-old girl from Ahmedabad, Pranali Bhat, suffering from a terminal stage liver disease, at the Global Hospital, Hyderabad.
- In Aug 2003, he was a part of a team from King's College Hospital, London which did liver transplant(s) six times for a patient to save her life by performing a bone marrow transplant.
- In Aug 2004, a team led by him has successfully conducted the liver transplantation for a five-year-old Pakistan girl, Batul Hasan, at the Global Hospital, Hyderabad.
- In Sep 2009, a team led by him has successfully done the split liver transplantation (first of its kind in India), at the Global Hospital, Chennai. The liver was split during the retrieval operation into a smaller left lobe for transplanting a young girl and a larger right lobe for transplanting an older woman with end stage liver disease.
- In May 2011, a team led by him has successfully done Swap liver transplantation on Adults (first of its kind in India), at Global Hospitals & Health city, Chennai.
- In Scientific Commons
- Results of Split Liver Transplantation in Children
- Split Liver Transplantation: King's College Hospital Experience
- Liver transplantation in children
- Liver transplantation for alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency in children
- Renal biopsy in liver transplant recipients
- A complication of infrarenal arterial conduit following orthotopic liver transplant
- Liver transplantation with monosegments
- Auxiliary Partial Orthotopic Liver Transplantation for Crigler-Najjar Syndrome Type I
- Biliary complications after orthotopic liver transplantation
- Reducing Bile Leak Following Segmental Liver Transplantation: Understanding Biliary Anatomy of the Caudate Lobe
- Overcoming the limitations of living donor and split liver transplantation: A proposal for adult recipients (the best of the east in the west)
- Liver transplant for giant cell hepatitis with autoimmune haemolytic anaemia
- Pretransplant MELD score and post Liver transplantation survival in the UK and Ireland
- Liver resection in liver transplant recipients
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy with radical lymphadenectomy is not contraindicated for patients with established chronic liver disease and portal hypertension
- Managing Arterial Collaterals Due to Coeliac Axis Stenosis During Pancreaticoduodenectomy
Source : Wikipedia
Sir I am searching for Global Hospital Contact Number because I want to know more about Global Hospital.ReplyDelete
Drkvr prasad provide expertise and surgical treatment for urinary disorders of male and female urinary tracts. our urology specialists work closely with patients for best possible outcomes. Book an appointment today with drkvrprasad, hyderabad.ReplyDelete
I'm so proud of you sir. Glad to work with you...ReplyDelete
pediatric liver and gi specialist in India
Pediatric Liver specialist in India
aol desktop gold,If you have any issue releted to AOL Gold Software Then Call officialReplyDelete
AOL Desktop Gold Support Number +1-800-684-5649 toll-free. They will assist you in the best way .
We are the best AOL Gold support provider in usa.
AOL Desktop Gold
The Canon Pixma MX492 Wireless Setup is a most famous in canon series whetherReplyDelete
you are at home and office use; still have issues with Canon Pixma MX492 Setup?
Just reach our technicians to fix it out.
Thanks for sharing
Liver Transpant Surgery in India
Child Specialist Doctor In Chennai
Child Specialist Doctor In Chennai
If you occur to find any trouble with your printer, troubleshoot by referring to resolutions of respected error. Not only hp officejet pro 8710 troubleshooting but our technical experts can assist you to fix this failure by providing online remote help.ReplyDelete
Thanks and keep sharing such valuable updates through your side.ReplyDelete
liver transplant surgery
How to Fix HP Printer not Printing Color is a common query, and if you are also wondering about the same question, follow these recommended steps or call our professionals for instant help.We are a team of experienced experts. Call- 1 888-309-0939.ReplyDelete
HP Printer not Printing Color Issue
Fix HP Printer not Printing Color
To know About Roku Purple Screen to enjoy live streaming, Roku devices are excellent for enjoying live streaming programs. we must know about Roku devices. if you by calling at our toll-free number face any such issue, You can connect with the experts 24*7 | They are available to assist you right from the installation, setup, configuration. There are the guiders or customer service providers who will guide you step by step for Roku to enjoy live streaming guidance…ReplyDelete
Connect with us directly by calling at our toll-free number @ 1 888-309-0939
Roku HDCP error
Fix Roku Purple Screen
You are providing Right Informartion here. I Got help with your blog . It realy simple and helpfulReplyDelete
canon e560 setup
this is a very useful article thanks for sharing this information it is a very useful site critical care specialistReplyDelete
The http//ij.start.canon printer installs using the USB into the computer and we provide you steps for better and best results. If there any error to downloading and installing point then you can visit our website.ReplyDelete
Thank you For posting such a great article. Really appreciate your visit and hope there will be many more in future. :)ReplyDelete
Best investment in Islamabad